Pork is a Powerhouse of nutrition and an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12 and zinc as well as many other nutrients. Check it out on our Nutrition Facts Page
Pork Capicola in 5-Spiced Red Chile HoneyPosted on May 2, 2011 by admin-F0RS3
2 3/4 hours
- 2-3 lb1-1 ½ kgCanadian Pork Shoulder Blade Capicola Roast, boneless*
- 1 Tbsp15 mLChinese 5-spice powder**
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp15 mLcracked red chili peppers
- 11medium cooking onion, diced
- 22stalks celery, diced
- 11carrot, peeled and diced
- ½ cup125 mLEACH soy sauce, honey and red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp15 mLminced fresh ginger
Rub meat with 5-spice, salt and pepper. Stir remaining ingredients in a heavy-bottomed pot; add the seasoned meat. Bring up to a simmer over medium heat, cover and braise in a 300°F (150ºC) oven for 2 ½ hours, until meat pulls away easily with a fork. Remove excess fat; reduce sauce over medium heat until it coats the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning. To serve, slice pork and spoon sauce over, or shred pork with a fork and toss with sauce to coat. Try this is over noodles, stir-fried vegetables or rice.
*This dish uses the shoulder “capicola” cut but could also utilize the boneless leg.
**Chinese 5-spice powder can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores, or in Asian food stores.