Did you know that pork tenderloin contains less fat than boneless, skinless chicken breast? Compare sources of animal protein on the Nutrition Facts Page
EmpanadasMay 2, 2011
- 1 lb500Lean Ground Canadian Pork
- 11medium onion, chopped
- 22large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (or 2 chopped canned tomatoes)
- 2 Tbsp25 mLcider vinegar
- 11clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp5 mLcinnamon
- 1/4 tsp1 mLEACH cumin, oregano
- pinchpinchground cloves
- 1/2 cup125 mLEACH raisins, toasted chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup50 mLsliced stuffed olives
- to tastesalt
- 1/3 cup75 mLwater (add more if needed)
- 2 cups500 mLall purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp2 mLsalt
- 1 cup250 mLbutter, cut into cubes
- 8 oz250 gpackage cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 11egg (mixed with 1 Tbsp/15 mL water)
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork. Drain off any excess fat. Add onion, tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, oregano and cloves. Cook, covered, until onion is soft. Stir in raisins, almonds, olives, cayenne and salt. Cover and simmer 30 minutes, adding water if needed. Cool.
Meanwhile, make pastry. Combine flour and salt in food processor. Add butter and cream cheese; process until pastry forms a ball. Roll out to 1/8″ (3mm) thickness. Cut into 3½” (9 cm) rounds. Place a generous teaspoonful of filling on each round. Fold over and seal with a fork. Brush with egg mixture. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 400ºF (200ºC) for 20 minutes or until golden.
Note: Always cook ground pork to well done.